This chapter focuses on the idea of using computers as Mindtools for creating meaningful models. It introduces a range of important information that all teachers should use to promote meaningful learning. The chapter explains that Mindtools can be used to model content, systems, problems, stories, and reflective thinking. I feel that this is important for students because by having different way of representing their knowledge they will have a better chance of understanding.
This semester, I have been introduced to a few different models to use in my future classroom. One that has appeared in a few of my classes is the concept map. In our science class we were asked to create concept maps using an online resource. I had never used one before, but I felt it was very useful for me today and in my future. The book shows a concept map of a topic in chemistry. This is a great example of an effective concept map because it provides visual relationships of the topic, which are essential in understanding the overall concept. I feel that concept maps are the most useful tool for elementary students. It is stated in this chapter that students learn more from creating their own maps then by studying premade maps. As a future teacher, I plan on allowing my students to create their own maps in order to insure meaningful learning.
The next section of the chapter talks about modeling systems with systems dynamics tools. After reading this section, I was still confused on what systems dynamics tool was. I decided to research a few of the examples that the book offered. I realized that they are basically a simulation tool that students can use to create and test a variety of models. I researched Model- it, one of the book examples, and felt that it is a very useful tool for high school student’s because a higher level of information is needed in order to create the models. Personally, I don’t think I will use system dynamic tools in my future classroom because it is a lot for an elementary student to handle.
Spreadsheet is the next Mindtool that the book explains. I have used Microsoft excel, which is a kind of spreadsheet tool, in my past. I used it to keep record of finances in a fund-raiser that I was a part of. I really liked using this program for finances because the cells can be related mathematically. I felt it was very useful when I had to do the final calculations. There are many other uses for spreadsheets. My boyfriend is currently using it to keep track of his medical school applications. He records due dates and things that need to be done for each school which has helped keep him organized so that he does not miss a thing. The book introduced me to an array of functions that spreadsheets can do that I never knew prior to reading the chapter. I never knew that you could create charts and graphs through spreadsheets. This is a good resource to have as a teacher because we can create graphs to show a concept or create charts to keep record of student’s progress.
Of all the models presented, I feel that expert systems are the least effective model to use with elementary students. Expert systems are good for teachers to use for their own class reflection. But I feel that it does not promote learning with technology but rather learning from technology. After looking at the example in the book, I feel that this model does most of the thinking rather than student thinking. I don’t think I will use this in my future classroom because I am having a hard time truly understanding its purpose.
The final kind of modeling that the book explains is databases. This is a very valuable tool for all teachers to use. I have used the UF library databases to find reliable resources for research papers. I hope that the school that I work at in my future will provide teachers with access to educational databases. I think that this is an important tool for students to know how to use because it will help them in their future. Databases can also be used with students to store all their school work. This is a great way for kids to keep record of what they have done and may even be a valuable source for their future.
This chapter was very interesting and introduced me to many different models that can be utilized through technology. The chapter showed me how each Mindtools are essential in creating different kinds of models. Out of all the Mindtools given in this chapter, I feel that concept maps are the most useful ones that elementary grade students can use. The others are great, but mostly for older students or for teachers to use in the classroom to enhance their professional knowledge.
This was a kind of confusing chapter. I agree with you that concept maps seem to be the most useful model for elementary school, and that expert systems are probably the least useful that I have seen. I was also unsure of how/why those would be used in an elementary classroom.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your reflection. I would have to agree with you that cocnept maps would be the only model that we as elementary teachers could use with our students. Most of the models mentioned are geared for older students and would hardly be used in the elementary setting. I also agree that students need to use these tools to have a better understanding of material.
ReplyDeleteThis was a good read, and I especially liked the part about your boyfriend keeping track of everything with spreadsheet. Good luck to him with all of his applications!
ReplyDeleteI think spreadsheets are very valuable, and it's always good to hear of people who use them in different ways than I would have originally.