Monday, October 12, 2009

Chapter 7

Communication is essential for successful teaching and learning. This chapter focuses on using technology as a form of communication. It introduces various activities and programs that allow individuals and groups to share and exchange ideas. I realized that this chapter had a close connection to the previous chapter because it also focuses on building a community through technology. I feel that this is extremely important in any classroom and technology allows the community to expand to a great extent.

In society today, technology based communication has grown to a great extent. The chapter talks about using computer conferencing in the classroom. It explains some reasons that support this form of communication. It mentions that students do not have to be in the same place in order to learn. The book also explains that computer conferencing enables learners to reflect on their ideas or response before making them. The last reason that the book encourages computer conferences is that it can guide and scaffold students as they make comments. I personally do not believe that any of these are true reasons to have computer conferences instead of face to face learning. I personally have had classes that are merely online and from that experience I can say I did not get as much as I would have if I could have gone to class and interacted with other students and my teacher. This is even a greater problem with children because these are essential years for them to socialize with other students and with adults.

Discussion board is another tool for communication. I thought this was actually very interesting. The book mentioned that this tool gives English as Second Language students a chance to increase their language skills. I think this is a very useful tool and I really liked how it can be used to help English language learners because as teachers it is important to provide them extra resources to help them succeed. It also gives them a chance to participate in class discussions without the added pressure of peer judging. I will definitely be using this with all my students and especially if I have ESL students.

Synchronous exchange with chats and messaging was a tool mentioned in this chapter. When I was younger, I used to spend hours instant messaging my friends. Even recently, Facebook, added an application where you can chat with people who are also on facebook. I used to love doing that and sometimes it’s nice now to chat with friends that you haven’t spoken to in a while. But I personally don’t think that I would implement this in my classroom. I feel that it can be distracting and is more of a social service than an educational tool. After reading the part in the book that talks about this tool in the classroom, I understand its ideas, but I don’t think that it would be very effective in an elementary class. I don’t think that they will have the literary skills for this kind of interactions.

I really liked the idea of videoconferencing. I think this is a great way to allow students to expand their knowledge in so many areas. The book mentions that it’s a great way for students to interact with experts that would be impossible to do face to face. I think this is such a good way for students to be engaged in a topic or lesson by listening to an expert. As a future elementary teacher, I think this is a very useful tool because we have to teach all areas. This can enhance the curriculum in a way that may not be possible any other means. The book mentions many things to consider with this tool like technical considerations. I think this is important for the book to mention because many people may not consider the implications of this. Also teachers need to be very careful to have a complete resource check on any videoconference being done in the classroom. The internet can sometimes bring inappropriate items for students to view.

Podcasting is a tool that I have never used before. I have heard so much about it, but never truly explored it until reading this chapter. I was amazed at the variety of podcasts available I feel that they are a wonderful tool to be used as a source for students. If I find a kid friendly podcast on a specific subject that I am teaching or want to cover, I will ask students to listen to it as homework. I could even implement a writing reflection on the specific podcast. But I will not use podcasts as a lecturing tool because I feel that it could be very boring for students.

Overall, I really enjoyed learning about different ways to communicate through technology. There were a few tools that I would definitely implement in my classroom to enhance knowledge and engage students, but there are some things that will never replace face to face interaction. I look forward to researching the tools and using them in my future.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Patricia,
    I really enjoyed your post. I also had never considered video conferencing to be a tool I would use as an elementary school teacher. But I think it is a great way for students to communicate and hear the ideas of experts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patricia,
    I also liked the idea of video conferencing. I think there are so many different ways to incorporate it into the classroom and use it as a learning resource. good reflection! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patricia - I liked the idea of using discussion board as well. It was interesting that the book mentioned it in reference to using it with ELL students, but I think it is a good idea. I enjoyed reading your post, nice job!

    ReplyDelete