Sunday, October 25, 2009

Chapter 9

Vision is truly the most sophisticated sensory system that we as humans have. Images that we see are very important when making meaning of certain things. This chapter introduces using visualizing tools in the classroom. I really enjoyed this chapter because it provides some useful and interesting programs and methods to help provide students with meaningful learning. The chapter covers five kinds of visualization tools that can help students comprehend ideas in ways that are easier for them.

The first tool that is mentioned is scientific visualization tool. The scientific world is not always very visible to us. But technology can help us see this world in way that we can truly understand. Visualizing geography with geographic information systems is a really neat tool to use with kids. One that I was already familiar and use regularly is the Google Earth program. I am completely amazed with Google Earth. It recently has been updated and you are able to see actual street views. This summer I was in Brazil visiting my family. They were all curious to see where and how the city that I lived in was. I used Google Earth and I was able to show them exactly where I go to class, where I live, and so much more!

I will definitely be incorporating this in my classroom. It’s a great way to learn the location of different countries and to even take a closer look at specific cities. Another feature of this program is the search engine. You can search specific monuments or areas, and it will take you straight to them. SketchUp was a tool that was new to me, but seemed very interesting and useful. Students are able to create their own models of buildings that can then be placed in Google Earth. This gives students opportunities to be creative and utilize global positioning data.

Visualizing mathematical ideas with technology was the next tool this chapter brought up. Math is a very abstract subject; therefore, visualization is essential in grasping mathematical concepts. Many tools such as graphing calculators and programs such as Mathematica and MathLab are helpful in visualizing math. Personally, I don’t think I would use these tools in my classroom because they seem to be a little to complex for elementary students. But a tool that I might use is TinkerPlots. I would use this with upper elementary when teaching them about graphs. It is great because sometimes it is very frustrating to have to draw and redraw graphs. This program allows students to drag variety of variables to the axis and investigate the data.

The third tool is visualizing with digital cameras and mobile phones. Before this class, I had never thought about using cell phones in the classroom. The book suggested using phones to create personal documentaries. This is actually really interesting and is a neat way to incorporate a tool that most students have. But it’s also a very controversial matter, as has been discussed in some contemporary issue in my presentations. I’m not sure that I will use this tool in my classroom because I am still having a hard time understanding exactly how to incorporate it.

Using video to visualize is the next tool introduced in the chapter. When I was younger, I used to love to make fun movies with my friends. We would create a story and act them out. I think that this is a great way for students to be dynamic, productive, and cooperative. Students need to be imaginative and willing to take chances. I will use this tool in my classroom for a variety of projects. For example, I could incorporate it into a history lesson and allow them to act out a specific moment in history and share it with the class. Many skills, such as editing the videos, can be acquired with creating videos. The chapter provides a step by step process on how to create a digital storytelling. This provides students with the opportunity to establish connections between the creator and the viewer. The students are also able to understand how all the essentials work together.

The final tool is video modeling and feedback. This is a key reason why I would use video in my class. Sometimes it’s not possible to show or explain something in the classroom, but a video may be able to do so. Feedback is very important because it allows students to view themselves in an unfiltered and unbiased way. As a future teacher I will prepare students to use feedback correctly because it can sometimes be frightening if it is used inappropriately.

Visualization is important for students to use. Technology provides tools and programs that can make it easier. This chapter helped make clear the different tools that can be used. I hope that as a teacher, I can use the tools to better help my students.

5 comments:

  1. Patricia,
    I agree with your idea of using Google Earth as a great resource to show students cities they cannot physically visit. I too hope to incorportate this program into my classroom activities and lessons. I also had never thought to use digital cameras or cell phones as teaching tools in the classroom. However after reading the text and learning about creative ways to introduce children to technology by using items they are already familiar with, I see myself utilizing these technologies frequently in my classroom. I think technologies are a great resource to help students visually share their ideas with others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patricia, that is so neat that you were able to use Google Earth to show your family your life back here. What a great way to use the tool!
    Kids do love to be in front of a video camera, so I agree that it would be a great tool to incorporate into the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would agree that visualization is important for students use and teachers to incoporate into curriculum. It seems like students would be most interested in learning if we use visual elements to help them learn. I hope to use all of the tools mentioned in my classroom to help student learn and gain knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visualization is so important for children and thus it is critical that this sense is addressed in class. I really like your idea of using Google earth. Nice summary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patricia,

    Google Earth is amazing! I will never forget the first experience I had with it. I was able to see my mother's house with great detail. I even seen the cars in the yard! It will be a great way to allow students the opportunity to see the places they are studying about no matter how far away it is.

    ReplyDelete